My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dachshund Chronicles: Where did he come from

Random Toto story (1974-1984) first family pet: As much as I hate to admit it....I believe Toto came from a bad breeder. I like to think we saved him. He was 4 months old when we brought him home. He did come with some 'baggage'. Within two days of being home, he had a major case of tonsilitis. He was so small (3 lbs) we could not give him all the meds at one time. It was every two hours for 7 days. I had a newborn again. As you know from all the previous stories this ended well. He was up and about in no time and barking like a champ. Other issue were his fears. He was afraid of all men, except my husband. He was afraid of brooms and he was afraid of hats. So if a man came in the house wearing a hat, with a broom Toto turned into a little pile of quivering reddness. He conquered the broom thing quickly. We still had a few more months to deal with the man and the hat issue. My dad wore a hat and had a booming voice. If he walked into our house with the hat on, Toto would roll over on his back in total submission and wet in the air (even if he had just had a potty break). Of course the pee landed back on Toto which required an immediate bath, which he did not like either....they made him smell un-MANLY. Daddy finally started leaving his hat in the car when he came to visit and he used his 'inside voice' around Toto. We were his first owners so these fears had to have been developed at the breeders. After about 6 months of age he became FEARLESS nothing was too big for him to tackle.... as you have read in previous posts. He was TNT on four short stubby legs.

10 comments:

  1. That is interesting! There must of been bad humans there at the breeder!


    Personally, I am scared of lots of things! Maybe cause I didn't really have a family before I was here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind of you to take care of him! Giving medicine to a puppy is almost never a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure he didn't just really dislike hats??? Cause I could totally understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmm...I think my Billy might understand. He is totatly afraid of papers,or magazines making noise. Ralph thought he was abused as a young pup. But we got him at 8 weeks old, and he hated paper noise then. He has other fears also, but nothing big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom thinks that something bad happened to me before she got me too! And I came to live with her at 7 weeks old!
    I hate people with hats and boots. I bark at them like crazy. The broom scares me a lot and metallic sounds make me run away. My mom asures me that nothing bad is going to happen to me but I guess the fear is bigger than me!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puppy mills are suppose to be very bad places! Maybe that was poor Toto's problem!
    Raider

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madi and Mom,
    Our Bambi came with a lot of fears too. We now she had at least 2 homes before ours. 3 if you count where she was born. At 11 years and 7 months with us she is afraid of nothing!!!
    Love, Bambi and Fern

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hats? That's an interesting fear, makes you wonder. We're glad he found such a great home with you!

    Purrs and hugs,
    The Kitty Krew

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is interesting about the hats. I feel bad for poor Toto because being out had to be a minefield of men with hats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, doxies tend to be nervous little ones for some reason. I almost jump outta my skin if I'm outside and the wind blows something (like a leaf) next to me. Momma and Daddy laugh and laugh when that happens. They think it is funny because I bark like I own the world and am not afraid of anything!
    Snuggles,
    Twix
    PS: We love your Toto stories.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net